Greek English
Home Page / History
Print this page


Drinia is a village of Paphos and it belongs to the geographical district of Ampelohorion (vine villages) Limassol-Paphos.

It is built 25 km on the northeast of the city of Paphos and 552 above the sea surface. The scenery is divided from the streams, Kria Vrisi Kalamion, Avlaka, Kukufon, Halasmeno and Kampouras. 

The village is road connected  with the nearby villages Lasa on the north (in a distance of about 1.5 km)and Milia on the northeast (in a distance about 2km).Nearby villages are Drimou,Fiti,Saint Demetrianos and Simou.With the city of Paphos Drinia is connected through polemi. 

In the village there is annual rain of 638 millimeters and most cultivation in the area are vineyards (mostly wine making), cereals and the use plants. Some legumes and almond trees are also cultivated. The Cattle breeding of the village is restricted.  

In Drinia Marvelous textiles with colourful patterns, the famous Fitiotika (from the name of the nearby village Fiti), used to be manufactured and are still manufactured, in a restricted scale. 

It is mentioned that the village had 553 residents in 1881 and it was the fourth largest village in population of Paphos district. But ten years later in 1891 the residents of Drinia were only 184 and were raised to 227 in 1901 and to 241 in 1911 .In 1921 people were decreased in 219 and in 1931 to 198.Later there was an increase again: in 1946 the village had 240 residents who were decreased once more in 1960 to 208.The decrease continued and the number of the residents came to 162 in 1973 ,to 156 in 1976 and to 116 in 1982.In the last census that took place in 2001 the residents of the community were 63.

 We believe that the number 553 of the residents that is given in the first census of the population during English occupation that took place in 18881 was wrong and that the village had never had such a large population.Besides,in the same census it is mentioned that the inhabited houses of the village were 124 and the uninhabited were 11 ,while 10 years later in the 1891 census there are numbers of 184 people who lived in 47 inhabited houses while the uninhabited were two. That means there are 75 houses of the village that disappeared from the village, as it seems, in ten years without leaving any traces and with no increase, on the opposite there is decrease of the uninhabited houses. The most logical number of population is   (instead of 553) for 1881.

 The settlement that was originally developed around the church of Saint Georgiou gradually started to expand following the roads to the north and west which connect Drinia with the road of Lassa –Saint Demetrianou. 

The church of the village, dedicated to Saint Georgio was built in 1755 and was repaired in 1842.Some of its architectural parts probably come from the older building. 

The village is called Thrinia from Mas Latri.Nevertheless Simos Menardos and the others connect its name with the name of the nearby village Drymou and consider it that it comes from the word Drimia: small forest with oak trees.

Designed & Developed by NETinfo Plc